Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Sewing Round-up

Getting this one in at the last minute before the end of the year! Here's what I made this year (not including gifts or things I made for the kids).


 


 



 






Circle skirt












Ponte tunic






 






 
Blue gingham Cambie 


Apple Skirt 


Floral Cambie

22 items. Not bad! I am going to aim for quality over quantity in 2014.

My biggest hits this year:

The fit is not perfect but I love the print and the shape is flattering. I will make this again next year.
So, so cute! I get comments every time I wear it.
This fits me pretty much perfectly. It's a really smart looking dress for work or a nice dinner.

-Ponte tunic
I absolutely wore this to death in winter and can't wait to make some more!
This makes me happy every time I wear it. The fit is almost perfect and I love the fabric. It's a real 'any occasion' dress.
The name says it all! Just so damn cute. Also, the Apple Skirt .
 
 
 
....and the misses. I'm ashamed of how many there are!
 
Just doesn't fit! A shame because I love the shape. I plan to make another one next year.
 
-Sadie the Cleaning Lady Frock
Completely fucking ugly. Plus it's too tight across my shoulders. It went in my 'donate to charity' bag today.

 
-Hideous 70s dress
This is only saved from the charity bin because it looks great with my 70s denim jacket. It looks totally shit by itself.

 
-Ridiculous 60s dress
Ugly. Stupid. Pointless.

-Circle skirt
I love it in theory, but in reality it doesn't suit me. There is just far too much fabric. I think half circle skirts suit me better.

So what have I learned this year?

I've learned that there are a few things I need to do to pretty much every pattern before I cut my fabric. It seems I have a short torso, hollow chest, and thick waist. It's good that I've found this out because it makes life much easier when it comes to fitting.

I've learned that there are some things that just will not suit me, no matter how much I want them to. Flowy shapes or boxy shapes are just not me. 

I've learned not to take short cuts. There are some steps you cannot skip, such as stay stitching! 

I've learned to be patient and not force myself into deadlines because that results in crappy garments.

I've learned to use fabric from my stash (mostly).

Each year I can see tangible evidence of how much my sewing has improved. I still have a long way to go, but I'm not in a hurry!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment