Sunday, April 13, 2014

Emery dresses

In the last two weeks I've sewn up two Emeries to see what all the fuss is about!

My first one I cut Size 2 all over. I made the lining first then checked it to see if it needed any tweaking. It needed a bit more around the waist and the front waist darts looked funny so I moved them outwards.


I used some funky quilter's cotton that I've had stashed for almost 3 years. For the skirt, I used an existing dirndl skirt that never fit me properly.


It is super basic- no pockets, collar or bow. The fit of this one is not great. I should have left the darts in their original position, but hey- you live and learn!


Armed with this knowledge, I set about making my next one the very next day. I cut Size 2 but tapered it to Size 4 at the waist. I also made the neckline slightly scooped as I've been told numerous times by my husband that high necklines look awful on me.

Last night we stayed at a fancy hotel for our anniversary. Our room had an amazing view of the coastline- not sure if you can see it in the pics due to the light.

The fabric again is quilter's cotton that I have been holding on to for years. I love the colours. 


I'm much happier with this one. I could wear it every day. I hand hemmed the skirt and the effect is so much nicer than machine hemmed so I will try to be patient and do this with all of my dresses.

 Verdict: This is a great dress! I can't wait to make the long sleeved version for winter.