Here's my latest completed project.
I ummed and ahhed about what to do with this one. First I wanted to make a dress entirely out of the cupcake fabric, but when I laid out my chosen pattern on it, I didn't have nearly enough fabric as the skirt back were cut on the bias. So I tried it on two more patterns and still didn't have enough, and finally decided on my original pattern with some of the black suiting that I used in my New Look 6782 skirt on the bottom and the cupckae fabric for the bodice.
The skirt is from New Look 6886. I've decided that circular/ semi-circular skirts suit me better than gathered or pleated skirts. The bodice is from my usual dress pattern, KwikSew 3521, and the sweet, cute, adorable little pouffy sleeves are from New Look 6808.
The last time I made a KwikSew 3521, I thought the bodice still needed some more tweaking as it gaped a bit around the neck and was a touch too baggy between the sleeves and waist (but not actually AT the sleeves and waist- just the area between them). So I took a bit off the side seams, sewed it up, basted in the zipper, tried to stuff myself into it....and failed.
|The first time I tried it on|
I was home alone at the time so I went across the street to my German neighbours and asked the wife to zip it up for me and check the fit. "It's too small!" she proclaimed. She suggested I reduce the seam allowance at the zipper and then perhaps at the side seams. I knew there was no way in hell I would do anything to the side seams as I'd already overlocked the waist and sleeve seams. I unpicked the zipper and managed to get an extra inch out of the seam allowances.
It fits now, I just have to make sure I don't try to do the following things while I'm wearing it: play the flute; eat food; breathe too deeply.
Husband likes it because, quote, 'It doesn't make you look like you have no tits like all the other dresses you make'.
Every time he says that I point out that if he would like a wife with large breasts he should go out and find one.
Anyway, here are some pics. I don't think I'll bother with all the other mumbo-jumbo pattern review stuff. Suffice it to say that it cost me about $5 to make.